This is traditional dish serving on the Lesbos island during the Christmas time. The Greek name is χοιρινο σελινατο (hirino selinato) and is absolutely delightful. I tried it with some kind of shyness, but I tried because I’m big fan of leeks and dry wine even. I do not regret, even I’m not big fan of pork!
Pork with leeks and celeryCourse: Dish from LesbosCuisine: Aegean CuisineDifficulty: Easy
500 grams of pork (doesn’t matter wich one, important is the part with meat, not only fat)
6 fresh leeks
1 big celery (green part)
1 glass of dry white wine (full one, 175 millilitres)
2 glass of water
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons salt
- Add olive to the pot and when is gonna be hot, add meat cut into small pieces
- add leeks – cut into 4-6 cm long pieces
- add a celery – cut into small leaves
- add the wine and close the pot for a few minutes.
- Open the pot and add max 2 glass of water, salt and pepper, mix and close te pot again, for minimum 30 minutes.
- after 30 minutes (total from cooking 35 minutes) have a look, the leeks and celery gave own water, check if meat is ready (the cooking time depends on the type of meat) and cook tilll meat will be tender. Ready!